We Take Modeling Seriously
You can’t build a high-quality sensor if you don’t really know how its going to perform. And you can’t push that performance to the cutting-edge if you don’t really understand the physics of what’s going on inside. That’s why we start every development effort with physics-based reduced order modeling of the system. This lumped-element model captures the key physics in a clear manner to gain an intuitive understanding of the factors that affect performance. It is that deep understanding that enables rapid convergence to a sensor design that meets targeted specifications.
We then take it a step further through formal optimization. Once the lumped element model clearly reflects the underlying physics, we plug that model into a formal optimization routine to push the performance as far as possible while still meeting fabrication constraints. The result is a high-performance, fully build-able sensor design.
Finally, we use finite element modeling / analysis (FEM / FEA) to verify our sensor designs at any stage along the way. With proper usage, FEM can provide very detailed, highly accurate simulation results, thereby adding confidence in the sensor design. By using lumped-element modeling early in the process and saving FEM for verification we can rapidly converge on an optimal solution to meet targeted specifications.
We Can Help You Take Your Designs to the Next Level
Our modeling and simulation services and capabilities include:
- Lumped element (reduced order) modeling
- Finite element modeling and analysis (FEM / FEA)
- Modeling of transduction
- Capacitive, piezoelectric, piezoeresistive, optical transduction
- Acoustic, mechanical, electrical, optical sensing
- Formal optimization through Pareto optimization methods
- Predictions of sensor performance for a range of designs
- Bandwidth, sensitivity, noise floor, dynamic range, linearity, resolution
- Guidance on how to improve performance through geometric or material changes
Contact us now to get more information on how we can help you model, optimize and simulate your next design.